Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Splendid Debaucherous Nonsense

I really thought I was too old for this, but I have since changed this opinion: you’re never too old to make a fool of yourself on a night of debauchery.

You’re CERTAINLY never too old to make a fool of yourself, but you are also never too old to party like a rockstar; it’s just that you eventually get too old to look good while doing it. In fact, you begin to look ridiculous. But if that doesn’t bother you, then who cares?

On a recent night—and thank Blog these are becoming few and far between—a birthday party that started out tame ended up with a huge dramatic fight between the birthday boy and his fiancé. I got hit on by a pair of quite successful looking lesbians in a Farhenheit GTI, T-Town (an ever-present help in times of trouble) and I bought bottles of champagne at a 7-11, and the Fiance, T-Town, and I successfully ditched some old high school friends by jumping secretly into a cab. At which point we went to my house and drank terrible champagne until 4:30 in the morning. (The next day, the LT said to me, “Didn’t you learn your lesson at the PREVIOUS champagne party?”)

In an amazing sequence of events, I turned out the best for wear and T-Town and I collaborated on breakfast on a fairly reasonable hour (pre-noon), meaning that we didn’t have the added guilt of ruining the whole NEXT day, something I hate. After getting a few things done around the house, I went to VegFest (which I forgot to go to last year when I was ACTUALLY vegan) and joined the Vegetarians of Washington, striking fear into the heart of the LT but to make up for it, receiving a huge bag of goodies from PCC Natural Market and others. At the end of the day, LT and I caught a showing of Stop-Loss, an excellent movie that everyone should see eventually, although you’re allowed to wait until it comes out on video. Powerful, but not too heavy, and well-paced; slow enough to allow the characters to develop like older movies, not like a typical MTV movie. It reminded me of some of the movies shot at the time of the Vietnam War, both about that war and about previous wars, although the pace wasn’t quite as slow as theirs.

A problem about debaucherous nights, though: They’re EXPENSIVE! My goal was to fund Japan entirely with ready cash, and I budgeted about $2400 for this. I may be a little short.

UPDATE: I have a personal fund progress bar up for my Japan Fund. And a little more money talk coming soon.

No comments: