Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Blogging the Relationship (4)

Just last night, the LT was over, and we were on our way to a birthday dinner, and I had just gotten a box from Vicky’s in the mail, containing two pairs of cute shoes. (No need to get excited, men—just shoes this time.) I did what any female in that situation would do: I put on the left shoe from one pair and the right shoe from the other pair, and modeled both at once. If the LT had been my father, he would have said, “Well, not that pair, honey,” and thought it a good joke, but fortunately he is not. (To Freud: Phooey on you.)

Instead he said, “I like the right one better.”

I gaped at him, open-mouthed. Why would he say that? Did he think I would actually RETURN one of the pairs? Did he think I hadn't bought both pairs, intending to keep them, and certainly had no plans to abandon the less-wanted pair in its time of need? Did he think I was that heartless?

And then I remembered. Men live in a world in which one pair of new shoes is enough.

2 comments:

Shananigans said...

Jason doesn't go shopping with me anymore because he won’t let me leave a store with more than one pair pf shoes if he thinks the shoes are too similar to each other, i.e. both pairs are casual sneakers. Never mind that they are in completely different colors and will go with completely different outfits. Gay men make much better shopping companions.

Sara said...

One pair of new shoes is most certainly not enough. In fact, sometimes two pairs of new shoes are not enough. :)