Thursday, July 27, 2006

Blogging the Relationship (6)

The LT and I talk. A lot. It's one of my favorite things about us. I guess I started it, although accidentally. I had given up Christianity and was thinking about Paganism, and I knew he was Christian, and so as we were walking Titan just a week or so after we started dating, we crossed into the park and I said, "Ten dollar question."

"Three-dollar answer," he responded.

"How important is religion to you?"

"WHOA!"

He proceeded to give me at least a twelve-dollar answer, for those are curious.

We talk about fashion and women and advertising, we talk about veganism, we talk about religion, we talk about how men and women relate, politics, the government, abortion, etc. Some of my posts have grown out of conversations we've had; other times, it's the other way around.

Regardless, someone reading a transcript of our relationship since its inception would see this phrase a lot: "So, I have a question," or simply, "Question:"

Just yesterday we were on our way to the premiere of Accepted, and as we had just been frantically rooting around in my apartment for the free pass--which I had lost, because I TOTALLY SUCK--he had seen a lot of my papers and such.

"Focussing on our disimilarities today," he said, as we occasionally joke that we're too alike, "I noticed you're a member of the ACLU."

"That's right," I said, "and the Human Rights Campaign."

"Whereas I am a member of the NRA."

"I know." He owns two guns. I grew up with a military grandfather and was expecting it, particularly the handgun in the nightstand, which my grandfather had until he died. Not that I'll pretend that the morning after the First Time it wasn't a little disconcerting for the LT to say, "If you reach in here because you need condoms, don't be scared when you find this..." and pull out his gun, but it was nothing I hadn't seen or shot before. The handgun is one thing--it was the long shotgun that he offered to loan me once when I was pissed at...well, that's a secret! But I digress, because this is not about guns. (Not today.)

"What do you think about gay marriage?" he asked me.

I chose my words carefully, taking too long, until I had to say something. "I'm taking a long time, not because I don't have very strong and immediate views on the subject, but because I want to say it right," I said, stalling.

Let's just say: we disagree.

But not badly.

Still. I used to think that this question--like abortion, actually--would be a deal-breaker for me. I'm surprised to find out that as long as he's not radical...it's not. The discussion didn't get heated. We talked, and the conversation trailed off, and that was okay, and we went on to see a funny movie about college.

Huh.

6 comments:

alex said...

Well, James Carville and Mary Matalin seem to do alright for themselves.

Aarwenn said...

Alex--I thought of them, too. The LT and I aren't as different as they are. At least, we don't appear to be to ourselves, or else why would we date?

But maybe that's Carville and Matalin's secret, too: they only see the things they have in common. Maybe. And without getting too deep at this late hour, is that not an important life lesson?

Anonymous said...

I don't know; I think that Carville & Matalin are different: "We know not to bring up political issues. It's like some people's mother-in-law. The subject comes up and generally you're worse off for having the conversation."

We can bring up anything in our conversation and talk about it without anger. Passion, yes; but controlled. At least, we have so far. Apparently, she's still working up to the gun control discussion :)

Shananigans said...

I find it really hard to make it work when two sides come from really different places. In college I tried dating a pretty conservative, self-proclaimed Libertarian, pro-military kind of guy. I liked him on a lot of levels and he was smart, funny and interesting, but when it came down to core beliefs, every time it surfaced how he really felt about certain things it just made my stomach churn. Plus I couldn’t help but feel like he was being condescending all the time, like this is my hippy-dippy, vegetarian, jam-band-listening, peace-loving girlfriend, isn’t she cute? Didn’t last, obviously.

Anonymous said...

For me, it tends to be, "So, do you have a question for me?" It's kind of odd, you can tell how close and how fast I've become with someone by whether or not we've played a varient on the question game together.

And I think I can guess on the identity of that above relationship. Think I'm right?

Aarwenn said...

Qu: Funny you should say that. I was just talking to Redhead, whom I also saw a lot of DC, and I wrote, among other things,

"...also, the LT and I are dating now.

Redhead's Response: "Can I tell you how not surprised I am?"

So you probably can. :)