Thursday, March 01, 2007

Dog Is My Co-Pilot

Someday I will start a whole series of posts about what Titan and I see when we walk. We don't always see interesting things, although perhaps I should amend that since we live in Capitol Hill, and my definition of "interesting" is "a guy on stilts". A hooker on the corner wouldn't even make the list. It might be more accurate to say that we always see interesting things, but rarely does a sight or sound stay in my head on the long trek back, and almost never all the way back to the apartment, ready to flow through the fingers and onto the page. It's either been lost or relegated to long-term memory by then, and my long-term memory has quite a cache, let me tell YOU.

Titan and I walk every day, at least twice if not three times a day. Usually we walk for about an hour total, sometimes less in bad weather. Walking is my therapy. It keeps me grounded, no pun intended. Sometimes I go out for a walk while actually crying, sometimes I'm happy, sometimes I just want to Get It Over With, but no matter what, when I enter the apartment again with Titan, and he sits and I take off his leash and haltie and he dances around while I get his dinner ready, and then he sits patiently while I tell him to eat, well...that is the best feeling in the world.

And then I immediately sit down at the computer looking for entertainment and lose all the creativity I found on the walk.

Although in my defense, or maybe in defense of my habits, it's not just the computer, it's my brain--somehow all the thoughts and thoughts on thoughts that I have while walking hide, or dissipate into the wind, or get completely deleted when my brain deletes its history, search me how it happens but it DOES.

Oh, well. Guess I'll have to spend more time walking! Darn. Come to think of it...

...is this all a secret plot by the dogs of this world? Has anyone studied this? Because Titan already has me trained to scratch his belly on command and sleep on the futon, for God's sake. The future is almost too scary to contemplate.

No comments: