Sunday, December 04, 2005

The Human Race: Doomed or Not?

First, a very scary story:

This weekend, I and CAE met some mutual friends at a bar called The Rocker in Mill Creek. Beers were had, pool was played. The friends all left together--four guys, carpooling. My friend M was driving. As they drove down 164th, a car pulled up on their left, passing them, they thought. They heard four loud pops. And then in a shaky voice, their friend J in the back seat said, "Guys...I think I've been shot."

He had been. The driver of the car apparently though that my friend M had cut him off earlier, and so he did what any normal person would do: follow the guys that cut him off for several miles, drive up next to them on their driver's side, get his .45 out of the glove compartment, lean across his girlfriend in the passenger seat, and shoot at them, four times.

One bullet lodged in the driver's side windshield. Two went into the floorboards, and one went through the back door, glanced off J's leg, ricocheted around in the car, and landed in another passengers lap. All were fine--J had a large welt on his leg, but he was fine. Yes, they called it in right away, and the police caught the shooter. (He still had his gun IN his car.) His girlfriend spilled her guts. My friends spent three hours between the police station and the hospital.

And my friend M (the driver) and C (the shotgun rider) STILL went skiing with me and 12 others at Stevens Pass the next day. Yes, that's how we roll.

So, is the human race doomed, if people like this shooter exist?

Maybe not. After all, Great Britain has legalized 'civil unions' for gay couples. Not the real thing, as gay activists here are quick to point out. But it's a step in the right direction.

9 comments:

Froggylady said...

f'in a. that's major scary. i also wonder daily why people can't just be more accepting, more understanding. i mean really...

how was the skiing?

Aarwenn said...

Skiing was great--I skiied with some guys who could wipe the floor with me, and I hurt today (two days later) from pushing myself, but it was great. :)

kt said...

OMG, that's insane!!!

Anonymous said...

Ho-leee fucking shit. I can't goddamn believe it. How drunk/high/stupid must that guy have been. Hopefully your driver didn't have too much booze on his breath to go on top of everything else.

You got shot in MILL CREEK? You know ridiculous that is? When you live in TACOMA? And were just complaining about GANG WARS? What, you couldn't take part in a drive by on Mercer Island?

I'm so glad all that guy got was a welt. Horrifyingly (no one has said it), you could have all died. Four bullets. Four people. Hell, he could have shot the car and it could have flipped, etc. Jesus Christ. Must have been looking after you. Or something.

Brrrr.

Seriously, that freaks me out.

I'm glad you're okay.

And in other news, handguns are also still ILLEGAL in England. So they're winning on two fronts.

Also, crazy shit went down with Robin, in case you weren't up to snuff.

Aarwenn said...

I was not in the car. I'm glad I'm okay, too, but I wasn't there--I'm happier that my friends were okay!

ramblin' girl said...

that is so scary, glad your friends were all ok, and that you still got to ski!

alex said...

Hey, don't forget South Africa. They seem to be a step ahead of everyone.

S. Africa's Top Court Blesses Gay Marriage

Aarwenn said...

That's weird. For some reason, the link to this particular post doesn't work.

Anyone know why?

And, go, S. Africa. Way to make up for the apartheid.

Shananigans said...

Holy f*in crap! That is some scary stuff. I guess you’re never as safe as you think you might be. Glad you had fun skiing still.