Thursday, September 01, 2005

An Old Post I Like

In a hurry last night between walking Titan to Proctor with mom, running over to New House to get the keys (!) and introduce Titan to Figaro, Monica's cat (!!) and running out to Federal Way by 7 pm for Tutoring (which went SMASHINGLY...)

I dropped by Stadium Thriftway. I got a huge iced mocha breve, my drink from high school, and a rosemary roll.

I'm almost over the waves of nostalgia that come with drinking iced mocha breves, although I suspect I'll never quite be over them.

But the rosemary roll...I didn't eat it until just a few minutes ago, as the Mom of the kids I tutor fed me last night, so I saved the roll for this morning.

As I heated it up in the cheap office microwave, I was overwhelmed by the smell of warm rosemary, and thought about the time in my life last year--about nine months ago--when I was working for a lawyer, and basically living the life of every pissed-off administrative assistant under the sun. Peruse the Best of Craigslist for more hysterical administrative assistant rants than you can shake a stick at. Like I said, the job wasn't great, but it was summer--I worked there from late June through late September--and it was GORGEOUS outside, sunny and perfect, and I had broken up with Chris and enjoying being single (and having boys all over the place) and enoying the location--I could walk to work through the park every day, which I did, and often stopped at Stadium Thriftway for those mochas. And jo-jos, when I was still drunk or hungover, and Naked Juices or Odwalla Juices, and what I called Credit Card Cheeses--little individually wrapped credit-card-shaped slices of Tillamook Cheese, and all kinds of other treasures, especially the dip sample bins. My journal entries are full of memes and party talk--I was making just enough money to pay bills and drink heavily, (see: jo-jos) and I wasn't working more than six hours a day.

And even though I was broke and writing columns and short stories that were going nowhere and being turned down for About.com, not to mention being stuck on a freezing-cold Alaskan cruise for a week with my extended family, I was happy. A lot happier that I had been the previous spring, when I was a sad, sad little girl, with no money and drum lessons I couldn't afford and a boyfriend who wasn't right for me and no sense of direction. But not as happy as I was just last winter when I loved my job, I had disposable income for the first time in a year, I was part of the service community in Pioneer Square, I gave in and fell in love with TheBoy, and B----- said they would hire me.

Sigh. I love the smell of warm nostalgia in the afternoon.

5 comments:

ramblin' girl said...

nice... and I want some of that credit-card cheese... now... I love Tillamook!

Sherri said...

Isn't it amazing what a difference a year can make?

Aarwenn said...

It really is amazing.

Susan said...

Wow....unbelieveable!

tabitha jane said...

i wish i could walk to my admin assistant job . . . with gas prices climbing the way they are, i might have to beg for a raise just so i can get here every day!