Thursday, September 15, 2005

This must be "blog about work" week.

The Bouncer did it, although he does it often. Dewey did it. And so will I.

Interesting facts I learned about work yesterday:

    1. The ratio of men to women, overall, is 25:1.
(And y'all thought I was just exaggerating!)
    2. In management, it's almost 50:1.
    3. 45% of women who work for B abuse alcohol.
    4. 65% of men do.

And then there was this fascinating conversation I had with a fellow engineer yesterday. Note: this was a guy I sort of liked, until this.

I was talking to this guy, A*hole, (now known as Married Aerospace Engineer, or MAE, although I didn't know he was married at the time) who's funny, sarcastic, and blunt, and knows his shit, so I've gone down there a few times to pick his brain. I like him, and so of course I was teasing him about being a stereotypical engineer--zero tolerance for stupid people, and I mentioned "retail therapy" and he didn't know what it was, so I was teasing him about having little to no contact with women. At first I was enjoying myself, but then he began to annoy me. First, he was extremely talkative, talking on and on and not letting me get a word in edgewise, which works for awhile--I'm used to picking his brain, after all, which requires him doing most of the talking--but becomes monotonous not long after. Second, he was swearing--a LOT. Using the f-word gratuitously. Like, instead of saying "stupid people", he'd say, "f*ing stupid people". Over and over. And then he made a joke equalizing beauty and stupidity, saying that he tries to aim for beautiful and dumb women. I turned around like I was going to walk out, and he said, "Oh, I'm just kidding," and I turned back.

And then I began to complain about SWE, how women who belong to SWE usually have mustaches--really, they attract the ugliest women I've ever seen--and he took that thought and ran with it, saying that women who make it high up in Boeing are either beautiful women who do exactly what they are told, or "ugly butch women with huge f*ing biceps, who know that they'll never have a man to support them, so they have to work hard."

I was silent throughout this whole exchange, and then I said, perfectly calmly, "Wow. It's like talking to a caveman." To which he said, "You know, a lot of women say that to me, but they come down and talk to me anyway," and I said, "Hm." And just turned around and left.

Now that I think about it, I was perfectly justified, but I could have handled it better, like saying, "Well, those of us who are more evolved find it instructive to occasionally see what not to do," or, "Oh? And how's that working for you?" before leaving. Who knows. He called after me, "Bye!" but I was damned if I was going to say anything.

See how pleasant my work can be? Nothing better than working constantly with arrogant, egotistical, male engineers.

Note: I was talking to TheBoy's sister, who's in town for his going away party (sniff!) and she's pretty high up in the Air Force, so a lot of our experiences overlap or are related. I was joking around, saying that the problem with surrounding myself with men is that when I start being annoyed by a typical manly trait, I'm constantly annoyed by the same trait, and she contradicted me and said it wasn't fair to generalize like that--we're encouraging men not to generalize about us, so we shouldn't generalize about them. And she mentioned at some time other in the conversation that the ratio of men to women in the Air Force is 6:1.

Ha. Ha. Ha. If I had just six men around me, maybe I could get to know them as individuals, too. When I'm outnumbered 25:1, I'm in no danger of them generalizing me--if you only see one woman every three days, it's hard to get a large enough sample size to support a generalization--and my only defense is generalizing about them. Trying to get to know each man on a personal basis would completely drain my energy.

6 comments:

Susan said...

Sounds like a typical man who has no balls to me.

Shananigans said...

What an arrogant jerk. You truly live in a man's world. Kudos to you for putting up with it. And generalizations exist for a reason, not that they always stick to any individual in a group, but you know what I'm sayin'. I'm guessing this dude has his head too far up his own ass to make any accurate generalizations of women.

ramblin' girl said...

ah, the socially inept engineer... luckily most that I work with have a little bit of the social skills...

Aarwenn said...

I don't know if "arrogant" is the word. If we (as in, those with two X chromosomes) talked about men like that, we'd be considered to be bitching or male-bashing. If he talks like that, isn't he also woman-bashing? Being misogynist? That's kind of scary.

Erin said...

Poor thing - 25:1! I'm used to being the only female in a working environment, but that's just awful.

Of all the male engineers I've had to work with, mining ones have been the worst.

I'm so used to that mentality now that I really don't even get upset over it anymore. I just like to laugh at them - and then mess with their minds a bit just to screw with 'em.

Aarwenn said...

Update to post: I went down there again, to see my friends, and A*hole was there--obviously waiting for me. He said, "Man, you came back? I didn't completely and utterly offend you away?"

I gave him a very sweet smile and said, "I need you. Get me this contact name. It took you 20 minutes last time and you still didn't get it, so hop to it." He went away to get the contact name. I talked with the guys. He came back with it, retreated to his cubicle, I said goodbye to everyone, and took off.

Also, Erin, you give me hope. You did it. I can do it too.