Tuesday, September 20, 2005

You didn't think I had forgotten, did you?

I hope M.Thom kept the faith. :)

The Tag.

Ten years ago... I was 14. I was a freshman in high school, I was in the middle of swim season, I was the skinniest and cutest I would ever be in my life, and when I wasn't swimming five hours a day, I was playing the flute. In fact, I probably spent 15 hours playing the flute in a week: three hours every Saturday, flute collegium practice for two hours on Sunday, lessons for an hour on Monday, one hour for band ever day, one hour of practice every day (HA!)...I love Saturday morning symphony practice best of all. We used to get breakfast at Grounds for Coffee before practice. Before Tacoma's downtown was cool. And I was at church a lot, I think, hanging out with youth group kids, all of whom were older than I was. I played in the handbell choir on Wednesday nights and spent all Sunday at church, for service and Youth Group later. On the weekends we spent a lot of time watching So I Married an Axe Murderer and hanging out, and it was a good time. I remember life being very, very simple. I don't remember any boys.

Five years ago... I was 19. I had just started my sophomore year of college and pledged a sorority. I didn't know it, but my life was about to become a lot less simple. Although my rebellion had showed itself somewhat in high school--I snuck out a few times, cut class, yelled at my parents, and picked up a smoking habit--it wasn't really until sophomore year that I shook off my church, my parents, and my schooling. I was about to get a studly, bartending, alcoholic boyfriend who would relieve me of my virginity and teach me the beauty of alcohol. I was about to flunk out of college. But I didn't know it yet.

One year ago... Hell, I was 23. I was old already! I was waiting tables...no, I wasn't, I was about to get fired for the second time in three months, from a receptionist job at a legal office run by a crazy woman. In fact, I might have been fired one year ago today? I was being pursued by TheBoy and my feelings for him were pretty ambivalent. I was desperate for another job and broke, and I was sure I wasn't ever going to amount to anything.

Five Snacks...

    1. CHEESE!
    2.Soy crisps
    3. Spinach out of the bag
    4. Hard boiled eggs
    5. Almond butter.

Five Songs I Know All The Words To:
    1. Wish I by Jem
    2. Cowboy by Kid Rock
    3. any Sublime song
    5. countless church hymns
    5. Garbage's entire self-titled CD.

Five Things I Would Do with $100 Million:
    1. Pay off my Jeep and student loans!
    2. Pay off parents' house.
    3. Quit Job.
    4. Buy Ducati and learn how to ride it.
    5. Live in D.C.

Five Places to Run Away To:
    1. Borders/Barnes.
    2. My current house.
    3. Bed.
    4. Seattle.
    5. Grandma's house in Puyallup.

Five Things I Would Never Wear:
    1. Plastic earrings.
    2. A Perm.
    3. Navy blue anything.
    4. Tassels.
    5. Shoulder Pads.

Five Favorite TV Shows:
    1. Gilmore Girls!
    2. Buffy
    3. Jeeves and Wooster
    4. Alias
    5. Law and Order, SVU

Five Biggest Joys:
    1. When the kids I'm tutoring "get it". When they love the books I pick out for them. When they remember what I said. (Okay, that was a lot of things.)
    2. Titan.
    3. Talking to t-town girl and LongtimeFriend.
    4. Roommate.
    5. A sense of accomplishing goals.

Five Favorite Toys:
    1. Laptop!
    2. Wireless Internet!
    3. Blogger!
    4. Cell Phone!
    5. Headphones.

Five People to Pass This On To:
    1. Ramblin' Girl
    2. KIWI!
    3. Dewey
    4. Ms. Pan
    5. Shananigans.


If you've already been tagged, let me know, and I'll tag someone else--I haven't been reading blogs as closely the past few days and may have missed someone's tag already done. And t-town, I didn't tag you because you thumb your nose at them. So THERE.

Woo!

5 comments:

Susan said...

I think I've done this one already.... sorry darling!

Lindsey said...

LoL...great post! We've got a lot in common.

Aarwenn said...

I noticed that, too! Thanks, Linny. :) And Glitter, thanks for letting me know--you'll notice I changed your name already. mwah.

Shananigans said...

We all seem to have a lot in common. Coincidence? Now that it's Friday and I'm being a delinquent blogger instead of working I'll get right on this.

Anonymous said...

blarg.

Finished.

http://www.livejournal.com/users/xgollum/178854.html