Friday, March 24, 2006

The Saga of Seattle. And Me.

Right, so I'm moving to Seattle!

Good Things: Shorter commute! Great bus system! Time to myself! Walking distance from clubs! EVERYTHING about Seattle will be good!

Bad Things: Um...this isn't the first time I've done this.
Really Bad Things: I failed miserably the first time.

Just eleven months ago, right before I started this blog, I was living in West Seattle--still technically Seattle proper but across Elliot Bay. It was beautiful and beachy, and I had a lovely apartment in a great location, but I was absolutely miserable. Why?

First, I learned to my great surprise (and WAAAAAAAY after I signed the lease) that you can't have dogs on the beaches in Seattle! There's a $500 fine! Yay!

Second, this was in the Dark Ages before Purl's Budget, so I had no idea that I couldn't really afford the apartment after all. According to my very rough (and very inaccurate) budget, I could totally afford it! And yet all my money was disappearing every month and I didn't know why! I thought maybe gnomes were taking it.

Third, I was driving to Tacoma to see TheBoy every weekend (not good for stress OR money, apparently) and not only was I not getting to know my new city or my new apartment, but Titan was missing me, barking, and driving the other apartment residents crazy. The assistant manager of the complex lived directly below me and he hated me. I was about to be evicted.

*Insert long weekend in which I ran away to Pittsburgh for CMU's Spring Carnival and crawled into a pitcher of Yuengling.*

After Carnival I sobered up, bucked up, came back to Seattle, and put my resourcefulness to good use. Two weeks later I was out of the lease, owing them nothing, footloose and fancy free. I moved in with my parents for the rest of May, then moved out at the start of June, and have lived in my current adorable little house ever since!

With me so far? Awesome.

Now: It's been ten months in the same house, gas prices are going up again, my Jeep is complaining that she never signed on to be a commuter vehicle, I feel bad driving 60 miles round trip each day on this small planet, and I have a ton of friends in Seattle. Solution? Move again! WOO! It's the answer to everything! When in doubt, move!

(Side note: while I was explaining this to R last night, he said, "Do you have gypsy blood in you or what?") (One summer in D.C. I moved seven times in thirteen weeks. You do the math.)

What's the apartment like? So glad you asked! Next post!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

When you get to Seattle, we'll have to get our 4 legged boys aqainted. That way if you ever need help w/your boy (read: if you get stuck working serious OT) I can help let him out and such :)

Aarwenn said...

A fantastic idea. You're a smart cookie, you know that?

kt said...

did i ever tell you that my mom's fiances family owns yuenglings?

Aarwenn said...

DUDE! Alex, are you paying attention? Can she hook me up?

alex said...

I'm listening. Will you be my best friend? :)

Anonymous said...

When in doubt, move. I have lived in Berkeley, San Francisco, Pacifica (California), Madison (Wisconsin), Plainfield (NJ), Freiburg (Germany), Zurich (Switzerland), Portland (OR), and now Hilo (Hawaii). I have never regretted a move. Moving solves a lot of problems. A place may be good for you for a while, even for a long time, and then it stops working for you. That means it's time to go. There is nothing worse than stagnating in a place just out of inertia.
We're thinking of moving to Seattle one of these days.

Aarwenn said...

Thanks, hattie, I'm happy you "get" it. :)