Sunday, March 05, 2006

The Wonderful World of Bargain Shopping

AA Advantage, MyPoints, and Company Discounts, oh my!

It is downright confusing, I tell you, trying to get the best deal. I am not a bargain shopper by nature. You'd think I would be, with a mother who's half Scottish and who supported our family of three on just her salary while my dad chased his dreams for the entire time I lived at home, but you'd be wrong. My mother's philosophy was: If you need it, buy it. If you don't need it, a coupon isn't going to help. It's still money you shouldn't spend.

And she's right, of course. That's not to say she doesn't try to get the best deal--she has charge cards at all her favorite stores because a) she has self-control, unlike me, and b) she saves money at them. She and Nordstrom, in particular, have had a long and loving relationship. (Possibly better than her marriage. Hi, mom!) But she never clipped coupons. She had a deep understanding of the fact that her hourly rate paid her more money than she could save while clipping coupons.

Enter: Me. Hi, guys! I'm a young woman on my own, now, and at 25, my attitudes about money and entitlement are all wrapped up in how my mama raised me and how much money I have and my mama's view of my FATHER'S relationship with money (none too good) and my Scottish background plus my attitude towards electronics and a sense of disdain over saving pennies and yet at the same time a basic OCD approach to life, which would suggest that really, I LOVE details about saving money and coupons and the like. Also throw in: a metalook at What's Important To Me In Life, as in, (hypothetically speaking) should I buy new sheets and a new duvet cover because I have a huge freakin' tear in mine and I'm a Successful Engineer, Dammit, or should I use my mama's hand-me-downs and save my money for not only Tickets to Ghana and Pittsburgh, but also Eurail passes and the like in the future?

(Full Disclosure: I bought the sheets.)

Because, if I can afford both Bedding AND Tickets right now (thank you, Bonus!) then maybe I SHOULD go ahead and buy sheets and a duvet cover and maybe an iPod converter for my car radio, right? Because I'm a Successful Engineer, Dammit, and why the hell should I at THIS point in my life sleep on hand-me-down sheets or listen to our crappy local music stations?

(Full disclosure: I'm still sleeping on a futon and I can't wake up in time to ever remember my iPod anyway.)

Do the right purchases lead to a better lifestyle (better sleep, more time in the morning, more time to enjoy my music)? Or do all purchases simply boost the economy and allow us to chase the dream while simultaneously making sure we never attain the dream?

It's like going to Trader Joe's and maybe, hypothetically, buying $110 worth of stuff so that I wouldn't Waste Money On Lunch at work. Have I, in point of fact, just wasted my money twice because all that will go to waste and I'll end up buying money because I can't wake up on time to make lunch because I'm still sleeping on a futon and will never listen to my iPod?

So since I KNOW that my purchases are really just a feeble attempt to Live the Dream while simultaneously trying to save money to Actually Travel, I might as well try to save money where I can, right?

And here we come around full circle to Bargain Shopping.

If I have a MyPoints account, and I buy things on there and get points back to redeem at other stores (like Starbucks, hooray!), is that better than buying everything through my American Airlines account and earning miles? Or what about buying things through the company discount site and just saving money that I can use at my disposal?

Welcome to my first forays into Bargain Shopping. With no map, no guidance, and a hunger for such stuff as dreams are made on, not to mention a need to quote Shakespeare, I go once more into the breach.

Things I Have Learned, So Far:

1. Most Corporate Discounts suck. My corporate discount at B&N, for example, is 5%. You could get more bang for the buck earning miles instead.

2. So far, my experience with MyPoints has not been great, but it's very little effort to click the links and it takes about three months to earn a $10 Starbucks gift card.

3. Note: It would be faster and better to just get a Starbucks Visa, except that I'm probably not allowed one with my credit.

4. It would be even better to buy stock in Starbucks and get dividends if I like them so much.

5. And if I buy other things through MyPoints in order to get points, then that just encourages me to spend MORE money on consumer stuff I really don't need!

6. Much better to earn miles!

7. So if I'm in MyPoints just for the Starbucks cards, I'm wasting my time.

8. Buy everything from AA Advantage in the future.

The End.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny you should mention this sheet/duvet cover $$ spending controversy. I too had the same thoughts... and I caved. Though I tried my best to be "bargain" where I could and made my purchase at Target (the Shabby Chic collection is pretty awesome). Needless to say, a queen size duvet cover, queen size sheets, two pillow shams, and two throw pillows later, I'm $200 poorer but I sleep well. Of course, today I went to IKEA and after about 15 minutes of thought, I decided that yes, I did need those $40 down pillows. I needed new pillows anyway...

So much for saving $$ for a new car, which also reminds me -- you have a Jeep, right? I'm looking at getting a Liberty. Any thoughts on this?

Aarwenn said...

Dude, you spent only $200 for a cover, sheets, pillow shams, and pillows? That's damn impressive! For full disclosure purposes, I spent $145, and I didn't get any pillows! And I bought from Overstock.com!

I don't suppose inquiring minds could get a link to what you purchased from Target, could we? I mean, they?

Anonymous said...

It's not the dividends that I own starbux for...it's the gift card that comes along with their annual report. :-D

kt said...

hahahahah! oh my god sometimes i think we are the same person.

Tacompton-Ass-Tiffany said...

You should check ebay and overstock.com for sheets and duvet covers. I got the same brand new Ralph Lauren Duvet Cover for $45 that my mom bought for $350 - she wasn't too pleased about it, but it worked out great for me!

Aarwenn said...

Great idea, T. I got the duvet cover for $60 from PBteen (surprisingly good stuff) and the sheets from Overstock.com.

Quatoes: EXACTLY what I was thinking.

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, no link :-( I tried to order some of it online but I couldn't find the style (it's the English Rose collection I think...). I've been into stripes... the duvet has light green, purple and white stripes to it so if you see that one, that's what I got! I don't know why they weren't online though.

Never thought to check out Overstock.com. In fact, I never go there for anything yet I keep hearing all sorts of good things about the site. Note to self... check it out...

Anonymous said...

posting again because I FOUND THE LINK!!! Yay!!!

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/ref=in_de_display-variation-children/601-1988264-9541754?%5Fencoding=UTF8&frombrowse=1&asin=B0000DITA1

see if that opens to it.

Shananigans said...

Overstock.com is the bomb. I've gotten floor lamps, my vacuum cleaner, shelves, all kinds of stuff for the apartment, and you don't get screwed on the shipping. It's truly a beautiful thing.

While I'm pretty good at online shopping, money management is the last thing I should ever offer advice about. Behind car repairs and how to select a good cut of beef even, and that's saying a lot.

Anonymous said...

Here's a tip - evreward.com. This site compares all the rewards programs for a store (including My Points, all the frequent flyer programs, cash back programs, etc.) so you'll know which pays the most. There's a ton of new programs there that are good as well.

evreward.com