Thursday, July 28, 2005

Also, I'm going completely insane

I picked up my cell phone last night and dialed nine to get an outside line. I couldn't figure out why my call didn't work. I did it again, carefully dialing 9 first to get that outside line.

When I picked up my office phone this morning to listen to my messages, I tapped a key on the computer keyboard to choose 1 for the menu. I was surprised when the menu kept reciting options. I hit the keyboard "1" again, then realized what I was doing and almost ran screaming out of the office.

Also this morning I was driving to work, got off at Federal Way to get gas because I had had no time to get some the night before, and after I got gas I pulled back on the freeway again. It wasn't until I saw that road sign by the Port of Tacoma that says "University of Washington, Take Exit 133" that I realized I had GONE THE WRONG WAY for about 5 miles. That's right. I pulled out of the gas station and got on the freeway going SOUTH, back towards HOME, as opposed to continuing to go NORTH, where MY JOB IS.

UPDATE: Also, I have worn the same pair of pants three days this week. And it's not like they're black; they're light gray, folks. Easily recognizeable, curse them. But they're the only clean pair I have! (Note: Victoria's Secret clothes shipment is in the mail. WOO!)

5 comments:

Sherri said...

Sounds like you need a vacation....and fast!

I really enjoyed the "dial 9 for an outside line" on the cell phone. I always dial mine and forget to push "send" and just sit there and wonder why nothing happens.

So sad.

The World Against Me said...

Hehe.. I pick up my cell phone at times with the greeting I use for my work phone, "So-and-so Department, This is TWAM". I even do that at home! My friends are always making fun of me because of that.

Aarwenn said...

TWAM, although it's sad, it's amazing how much a good business greeting gives you the upper hand. It's like etiquette: once you know what you're SUPPOSED to do, you can choose to do it or not, but you feel a lot more comfortable. For example, when I get an unrecognized number on my cell phone, I'll pick up and say, very briskly, "This is Aarwenn," which forces the other person to hop to it and state their business. Really helps. Also, Sherri, I have the opposite problem: when I use a personal land line, I punch in the number and then hunt around on the handset for the "send" button, and the other person picks up and says, "Hello? Hello?" while I still have the phone away from my ear, looking for that "send."

Anonymous said...

I find myself driving on automatic pilot alot and when I become aware of it, find myself looking around in a panic trying to figure out where I am and where I'm supposed to be going... did it today and was relieved to be heading in the right direction... whew!

Shananigans said...

Sounds like me on my sleep deprived days. Which is most days now. Oh, and pain medication doesn’t help. At least I don’t take the freeway to work ;)