Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Stressed Out and Banged Up

So, I'm not losing weight too fast--me weighing 140 pounds yesterday morning was just a fluke of a long weekend. I weighed 142 this morning and that's pretty healthy. I repeat, I am not losing weight "too fast"--I do not need to be shot.

Also I am very tired of taking care of Monica's pets, and it's only been one day. Monica is an elementary school music teacher. She is, possibly, the least dominant person I know. Her pets run roughshod over her--although I don't think cats can possibly be dominated anyway, because they're too ignorant or too apathetic to learn cause and effect. (If I do this, she'll yell at me--therefore I won't do this anymore. Right.) Dogs, at least, react when you yell. But her dog doesn't even react much--except to hunker down and look as small as possible, and lose all brain functions. This is okay, although I'd prefer less of a "fear turns me to jelly" attitude, but what's worse it that I am entirely unused to the idea of a dog that doesn't come when you call it! At the very LEAST this dog should come when I call her in the house. Titan comes running when I call in the house because he's hoping he might get fed. Katie won't even come in the house, and she hates to go outside, which also frustrates me because Titan ALWAYS wants to go out, and I'm annoyed having to spend my time coaxing Katie to go OUTSIDE, as in, a place that dogs should naturally want to go. It seems to me like she's too stupid to act on her natural bodily functions, which really makes me surprised that she remembers to breathe.

Wow, I'm in a really, really, bitchy mood. This is partly because yesterday, when I was coaxing Katie to go outside, and I was bending down to pet her, Titan tried to stick his head in to get petted, only he was running a little too fast to stop and...
WHAM. Head butted me in my eye so hard that I fell down and saw stars, and immediately started to bawl, much like I can imagine Kristy did when she ran full-tilt into the wall. Picture this for a second: I've just come home and changed into a little denim skirt, but I'm still in my work clothes on top. I'm laying out full on my back on my dirty concrete patio and howling to beat the band. Katie is standing there, still stubborn, and taking every opportunity she can to sneak back into the house without peeing, so I'm alternating bawling and yelling at her, which sounds sort of like this:

"BOO-HOO HOO, OH MY GOD I CAN'T BELIEVE HOW MUCH THIS HURTS--KATIE, COME BACK HERE! COME, YOU STUPID DOG! COME!" (Katie doesn't respond to "come", of course, so I have to run up and drag her back into the yard.) "BOO HOO HOO, OW, BOO HOO," (softer, trying a different approach,) "Katie, come on, girl! Who's a good girl?" Titan, who had originally skedaddled when I started yelling, is attracted by my soft tones and comes running over, so then I have to go back to shouting, "NO, TITAN! LIE DOWN!" "BOO HOO, I'M IN SO MUCH PAIN!" "It's okay, Katie, who's a good girl?" "NO, TITAN, NOT YOU! LIE DOWN!" "BOO-HOO-HOO!"

And so forth. I swear to you I almost beat them all into a bloody pulp and then opened the back gate, hoping that they'd take off for parts unknown and I'd never have to see any pets again ever. I refrained, called my mother (always a good choice) who tried to calm me down over the phone, and eventually I fed the dogs outside and shut them out there for a few minutes, let Figaro out to run around the house (the cat, who's a nonstop yowler, often making it difficult for me to hear my mother over me crying and Figaro yowling), weighed myself about 5 times, opened the refrigerator door 14 times, paced around the house 11 times, and chugged a glass of wine with three aspirin, and then hung up with my mother, left the dogs outside, left Figaro loose in the house, and ran out to my car to make my tutoring appointment, because everything above happened in the space of fifteen minutes. And my life went on--I had to be somewhere.

Side note: the wine and aspirin kicked in and I had just been hit hard in the head, and unsurprisingly enough, it was very hard to tutor--I didn't have a single neuron firing in the right order, and I don't think the Diet Red Bull I was drinking helped at all.

But on the plus side, it did make it VERY hard to go to sleep later. Going to sleep at midnight and waking up at 4:30 is just not healthy.

15 comments:

The World Against Me said...

and with all honesty, I read your blog everyday too..

and you made me laugh so hard today... I have water all over my paperwork, the visual image of you running around is priceless.

Thank you..

My dog doesn't come on voice command either.. =(

ramblin' girl said...

I also don't get the dogs that don't come on command. such a simple thing to teach, really. anyway, hope your head feels better!

The World Against Me said...

We have tried everything. Food, treat, toys. We can get him to come in a controlled environment. But if there is any other outside distraction… forget it… /sigh

RG, want to come work your magic on our dog?

Carl Spackler said...

nice blog...some very interesting comments. ramblin' girl..your hot. whats your story?

Aarwenn said...

Thanks, TWAM! I hope, for your sake, that maybe some of my neighbors saw it and digi-camed it and, one far off day, you'll be sent an email titled "You've got to see this!" by an acquaintance with a link to this video, and you'll think, hmmmm, why does this feel familiar?

Also, Carl, thanks for the props, and I think RG is beautiful too.

Anonymous said...

oh my god, you poor thing. That sounds very painful.

It was good to see you again, I think I'm coming up again on Thursday!

Aarwenn said...

It doesn't hurt so badly today. Not a constant ache. It's more if I stoop to get something, then the blood rushes to my head and it hurts, or if I touch my nose or left eye--then it hurts. But it's not black and blue; that's what I care about!

And, yay!

ramblin' girl said...

TWAM- sure, just send the dog on out for doggie boot camp.
- the dog whisperer... ha, ha

Carl- thanks (she says blushing ever so slightly), my story is, well, long.

Aarwenn- thanks, also. I'll have to show you pictures of my black eyes (yes plural) sometime!
Glad yours aren't!

kt said...

i don't get people that name their dog katie.

or any other human names for that matter.. not just because i'm named katie as well. =)

Autumn Storm said...

Really nice blog (loved the call my mother bit - always a good idea). Fraps are great and you need at least one vice in life.

Sherri said...

We have a dog....I don't like dogs....so of course he follows me around. He follows me in the bathroom, in the office, outside. And the barking! UGH.....

T-town Girl said...

Whenever I wish my life was more exciting I will remember this story and immediately stop. While this story in particular does not make me want to spend more time with more dogs, you know I love Titan. But if he hits you again, I’m making you get a restraining order.

Shananigans said...

Ouch! That sounds painful. I had a breezily elegant moment on Monday when heading out to lunch with co-workers. It turns out that the frame of the back door of a little BMW is smaller than what I’m used to negotiating when getting into a car. My head bounced like a basketball between the door and the frame a couple times. Of course I was embarrassed so I acted like nothing happened and hoped no one noticed. I don’t think they did. Anyway, glad your head is feeling better!

I know what you mean about people with stupid dogs. I think some people don’t realize that they aren’t doing anyone a favor by not teaching their dogs anything and giving them free run to do what they want. They’re like children; they need structure and rules so everyone can get along and be happy.

I've always liked people names for animals, I think it's kind of cute. But some people names are just not good animal names and Katie sounds like one of them. Matilda and Bruce are good animal names.

Susan said...

Ouch! 4 hours of sleep is a killer. I always look and feel like I'm hung over when that happens. No wait, I ususally am. Nevermind.

Aarwenn said...

I have to say I'm not sure what makes a human name good or bad for an animal, but both of my animals have been typical, happy-go-lucky dogs (not as easygoing as Golden Retrievers, but typical dog personalities) and I've named them typical dog names: Champ and Titan. Katie continues to be the stupidest dog in the world and Figaro (the cat) continues to be mouthy and destructive. They make me appreciate Titan all the more.