Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Blogging the Relationship (8)

SO, The LT continually complains that I haven’t seen enough good movies, says my pop culture education is sadly lacking. And this may be true, in fact it probably is; it’s not an accusation I haven’t heard before. (Hi, kiwi!)

But the man has gone so far as to make a list. ON HIS CELL PHONE. So it's always with him. A list of movies he thinks I should see. (Side Note: He makes grocery lists, too. Can you SEE why this is SO HOT? I thought you could.)

Not included in the list is the huge stack of movies he pulled out last night from his collection and handed to me. Just looking at them made me tired. He was going on and on about movies like Event Horizon, and The Abyss and The Punisher, and finally I burst out with, “Baby, I don’t particularly like scary movies or thrillers. There’s a REASON I didn’t see these movies in the theaters! It’s not like I just forgot!”

He was quiet for a minute. “I’m sorry,” he said in a way that just about broke my heart. “You’re right. You really don’t have to see any of them if you don’t want to.” And he started to put them back.

And then I got a brain wave. “No, wait a minute. This could work well if I ALSO got to make you see movies that are important to ME. Or TV shows that I love, like Bones and Gilmore Girls and CSI.”

“Fair enough. You saw The Punisher. I saw an episode of CSI. Now it’s your turn.”

“Okay.”

* * *

It occurred to me later that this might become something horribly clichéd. Tee-hee! I just can’t watch scary movies without a big strong man next to me! And now I will punish you by making you watch Desperate Housewives and the Home Shopping Network! Buy me pearls! I will give you head as a special treat! (Sorry, Dad.)

But by the grace of Gloria Steinem, I don’t think that’s how this will go. I like girly movies, yes. Some of them. I like girly movies with strong female leads, not rom-coms (ugh) and I like action movies, good ones, especially ones that have female leads. (Seeing a trend here? I’m a feminist, what? Check the BLOG ADDRESS!)

And most of the LT’s movies, although manly, focus on war or ships or cars in some way. The guy’s an engineer in the military and he served on a submarine, and he races autocross. None of his movie choices are surprising viewed in that light.

So, on the one hand, this is about a guy and a girl, and their movie choices reflecting their genders, but on the other hand, this is about getting to know the other person through their favorite movies. And that’s a great thing.

I haven’t yet decided if I’ll ever make him watch BBC’s Pride and Prejudice, though.

6 comments:

alex said...

My curiosity is killing me....

What movies are on the list?

Shananigans said...

Two of my ex-boyfriends, eerily enough, were obsessed with the same movie: Backdraft. Fool me once…

Jason and I just try to watch shows the other doesn’t like when the other is not around (i.e. he watches poker, I watch the Dog Whisperer and Nature). Fortunately we agree on enough TV shows and movies that we have stuff to watch together when we’re both home. Compromise, it’s a fine art.

Aarwenn said...

Allow me to refer you to a previous post. Ahem.

Lady Apple said...

i love that you are going to make him watch gilmore girls! i did that to my guy at first he absolutely hated it and then it grew on him!

PaintingChef said...

It is a trade-off... I have no sat through EVERY Star Wars movie and in doing so gained exclusive rights to the living room remote control to watch 90210 in the afternoons.

Like it was ever a contest though...please. He knows that he doesn't want to make me choose between those reruns and him...

am. bad. wife.

Oh, and I did totally love that Groucho Marx quote! Thanks!

Aarwenn said...

I actually love the StarWars movies–-I'm a she-nerd, remember? But make no mistake–I’m a girl. My love for Gilmore Girls will never die, but then again I’m slightly scared by your love for 90210. THE POINT IS, TV is a divisive subject that must be handled carefully in a relationship. Strong words can ignite huge fights about shows!

I have spoken.