Friday, October 21, 2005

...And Bumpy

As is somewhat well known on this blog, two months ago I crashed my beautiful jeep. And now I'm driving a rented 1995 silver Toyota Tercel while they fix it. (Very. Slowly.) Or at least, I WAS driving the Tercel...

Yes, the Tercel has been broken for five days, almost six. Tonight I'm supposed to either get my Jeep back, if it's ready, (cue the Hallelujah Chorus!) or the Tercel, if it's not, which would still be better than driving nothing. Or my mother's car, which she has been nice enough to loan me, part time.

Because when I drive my mother's car, you see, I have two sets of keys. And since I can barely keep track of one set of keys, having two sets is a Very Bad Idea.

Because I might run home from work, walk Titan, and then be in a hurry to leave for the Y, so I might just grab the car keys and the water bottle and my Y card. I never take my phone to the gym unless I'm expecting an important call (only once in four months, so far) and I often bring no money or driver's license or anything else, because I don't have pockets in my gym clothes and I don't want to lose anything. (License? I don't need no stinkin' license!)

With me so far? I work my ass off at the Y, get back in my mother's car, and drive, tired and sweaty, to my house. When I realize: I have no house keys.

It's cold. It's misting. I'm cold and getting colder as my sweat dries on me, Titan is confused because I keep yanking at the door handle like it might open magically, and I have no phone to call my roommate. Or money. Or wallet. Now, I've broken into my house many a time, but it's the rainy season now and we're keeping our windows closed, worse luck. I walk around, climbing on fences, recycling bins, and porch chair, trying every single window, even the one I KNEW was loose, but it turns out (as I learn much later) that Roommate has fixed them. Damn him.

Titan is very confused by now and there's nothing I can do except go to my mom's house, where I shower, borrow her clothes (I can fit into them easily! YAY!!!) and call Roommate, whose number I certainly don't have memorized but which is fortunately still in my email correspondence from when he and I were emailing about possibly being roommates, two months ago. After he gets done laughing at me, he informs me that he's spending the next several nights in Gig Harbor because he's working long hours and his mom's house is much closer to work, so I have to SKIP Gilmore Girls with T-town Girl and drive OUT to Gig Harbor, where I meet him, get his key, and finally enter my house hours later. Sigh.

9 comments:

Susan said...

That sounds so like me it's scary! I knew I loved you for a reason!

Shananigans said...

I hate it when I do shit like that! I have all my keys hooked together on separate rings, so I can easily hand off sets of car, office, or house keys if I need to, but they all stay chained together otherwise. It makes for a bulky key chain, but works for me for the most part.

Aarwenn said...

Ah, Shananigans, if only I were as smart as you are.

Lindsey said...

I used to drive a peice of crap car that left me stranded more often than not...

It's such a loss of freedom...makes me want to cry thinking about it...dammit. Hurray for new cars that aren't broken.

Aarwenn said...

I love that two of my IIF's told me it was something they'd do! BWA HAHA!

Aarwenn said...

Linny--seriously. Any day now.

Aarwenn said...

In fact, is it sad that I'm MOST sad that I have no jeep yet because I have a date tonight and I wanted to show off my cool car? Yes, probably. On the other hand, I enjoy my jeep very much anyway, even if no one saw it! really!

kt said...

my college roommate used to forget her room key when she went to go shower.. and would always get locked out because i wouldn't know she was there. you'd think after having to go to the RA in a towel a couple of times, she'd remember. or maybe it was just an excuse..hmmmmm..

Krisco said...

aarwenn,

I really liked your comment on Opinionistas. Good points!!

I liked this post too. (mine from today is on being "Together" or not - and how you can only hang with people within a few levels of your own (I'm pretty low on that totem pole.)) Must be something in the air!