Monday, October 03, 2005

WOO! Time to Post!

Things I have done:

Effected Change.

First I gave money to a great cause in the name of someone who hates said cause.

Then I noticed that the only other woman in the office suddenly had a cute houndstooth jacket, with puffed sleeves and a flirty little ruffle at the back! It was very poor quality fabric--probably barely thick enough to count as a jacket--but it was cute, and this lady dresses worse than most men I know (although she tries, which is just fucking painful) so I took it upon myself to reward her for good behavior by complimenting her. She smiled and said, "Well, since you with all your youth and glory moved in, I thought I'd try to be a little more stylish!"

Think it's funny that she just now noticed I was younger and more stylish than she is? It's not--for my first several months here I just wore whatever I had that covered all right body parts and didn't show off my chest. (Difficult enough in and of itself.) No makeup, barely a comb through my hair. No more. For the past several weeks I have worn makeup, put hair gunk in my hair, and worn nice clothes--nice pants, nice shirts, high heels. Why?

Told Disapproving Old Women Just Where They Can Stick It

I (and other young'uns I work with) always feel pretty ignored by the older generation, especially since (as I've mentioned before) there's a large gap between changes in the guard. So we snipe. And bitch. And complain. About old people, and how they walk slowly and smell and can't type and can't dress (orthopedic shoes, anyone?) or follow our thoughts because we REFUSE TO SLOW DOWN, DAMNIT. And I've always felt a little bad about this, because hey, it's not their fault they're old, right? Maybe it's a little harsh to wish them all a speedy death so we can TAKE OVER.

And then I was on my vanpool a few mornings ago, and this NEW vanpool that I'm riding is full of women, whom I've bonded with. They're great. Very strong. And because we've bonded, they often forget how old I am, and a few mornings ago the talk turned to age. One woman vented, "I can't stand all these young kids at Boeing! I go into the cafeteria now and I think, 'Are we having a Family Day? Are we having a High School Visitation Day?'"

I BEG YOUR PARDON?

Before, like I said, I felt bad. And I never really thought about how I must look to these women, all in their mid-forties, but if I had, I would have felt bad about that, too.

NO LONGER.

I'm going to wear miniskirts and the highest heels I own. I'm going to wear makeup and toss my hair and flirt with men old enough to be my grandfather, just so they won't look at the older women. I'm 24 effin' years old, lady, I'm old enough to do anything I want to do except run for president. I'm old enough to take your job and do it better, I'm old enough to make decisions about birth control and sun exposure that you apparently didn't make. I'm tired of adults trying to drag me down to their level. I don't WANT to have kids, and I'm not going to be willing company in your misery.

And, if this added stylishness only inspires stylishness in other, older, women, then so much the better for them. And me.

Passed On the Curse of Food Obsession

Rooomate is cutting down on the Mountain Dew habit and trying to eat more greens. Trying to eat less junk.

Expanded My Attempts to Mold Young Minds

I might have a new tutoring student (did y'all know I tutor, too? Because, everyone knows, I don't work enough,) and I spent all weekend counseling a horde of screaming teenaged girls, which was actually a blast. Mwa hahahahahahaha.

I just feel so influential!

11 comments:

Sherri said...

I love what you said about middle-aged women! I'm 34 with 2 kids and I can totally respect the fact that you are 24, career-minded and don't want kids.

So what happens if you get further in your career than me because you chose a different path??? I'll applaud you. Good for you!

And please, please....wear your high heels, miniskirts and make all those old bitties jealous!

hee. hee. I love it! :)

Aarwenn said...

You are so adorable--thank you so much for siding with me and not getting insulted!

You shouldn't be, actually--I'm referring to women who are mid-forties; they really ARE middle-aged. I have enough friends in their mid-thirties to know that THAT'S not middle aged!

And of course, kids are great, and necessary for the continuation of the species, and I know you love yours, which is awesome. :) And thank you for proving that having kids does not wipe out your sense of humor!

Shananigans said...

Long time no read, great to see a post from you (I should talk). Such a mover and a shaker you are! Brava! Inspired by a complete lack of results from my 3 months of gym membership I have decided to give food obsession a try as well. Since Saturday I’ve been logging my food intake on fitday.com and finally set up my complementary fitlinxx account to track my workout activity. I’m a little appalled at how hard it has been for me to stick to a generous 1800 calorie a day diet, but come some results I might find a little inspiration to actually you know, achieve goals or something like that.

You rock, continue to be the change you wish to see in the world!

ramblin' girl said...

you are evil for suggesting someone could even possibly drink too much of the Dew...

;~)

I wonder if the 25 year olds I work with think I dress too young?

Aarwenn said...

If so, eff 'em. You're gorgeous; probably more gorgeous than they ever will be. I've seen some very well-dressed girls my age here, and I've also seen some not-so-well dressed (as a group, we tend to be stuck in the mid-90's) and I've ALSO seen some engineering girls my age wearing TEVAS out to a BAR. With their mid-nineties flowered skirts. And their hair scraped back in a ponytail, tight on top and hugely fluffy towards the bottom.

Let's not go there. Age or lack thereof does not necessarily mean style!

ramblin' girl said...

oh, the girls in my office definitely have style. of course, they're also two of my good friends, so they'd probably tell me if I needed a fashion adjustment.

and I wear tevas to bars... of course the bars I go to that's usually not a problem!

Shananigans said...

I wear my Tevas almost anywhere. If it weren't so unprofessional I'd wear them to work. If a bar is too classy for Tevas it’s probably not my kind of bar, but I’m a kind of simple gal that way. I wish all the shoes that look so cute didn’t make me fall down or so miserable with pain that there’s no way I could possibly enjoy myself or think about anything other than how much my feet hurt. Further evidence that the majority of women’s shoe designers are sadistic men.

Aarwenn said...

Well, since I can't stand Tevas and love my high, high heels, what am I?

Am I masochistic, enjoying killing my feet for the rush of pain it brings me? Am I suffering from a deep seated hate of Tevas because of too much exposure to them here on the West Coast? Do I mark them as mid-nineties and forget about them, stylistically?

Because I have no problem at all with wearing sandals to a bar--I'm often there in my flip-flops, or in my beaded slippers from the International District.

But TEVAS? I'm sorry, Ugh!

Shananigans said...

LOL, I’ve never heard of anyone so opposed to athletic sandal-wear! Sorry if I hit a nerve. At least you’re a fan of the flip-flops, can never have too many of those. Don’t get me wrong, I have no delusions that my Tevas are stylish, I just generally vote for comfort above all else. And I have less balancing skills than just about anyone I know. I’m with you on the flowered skirts though. Everything flowered needs to die already. Please tell me that they don’t wear the leggings under the skirts at least.

Aarwenn said...

I'm with dewey on the height thing--I need all the inches I can get! And nothing makes me happier than adorable shoes with a back-breaking heel. They're just so, so sexy. But girls, I'm sure your Tevas look lovely on you.

As long as you never wear them with babydoll dresses and leggings.

Susan said...

You most definitely are influential. Rock on with your bad-ass self!