Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Forking and Dating

So, I'm eating lunch at my desk while I write this post, and I just did a very, very ungraceful thing involving baked tofu and a plastic fork, in which the tofu almost fell OFF the fork (some people eat it with their hands, but it's juicy and I don't like tofu juice on my fingers if I can't wash them right away and the bathroom is ALL THE WAY ACROSS THE HALL...and by the way, is it just me, or does "tofu juice" sound totally dirty?) and I was forced to catch it with my lower jaw, which just trapped the tofu AGAINST the fork and I was trying to scoop it up with my lip, looking (I'm sure) very much like I was trying to sexually molest the fork in some way. If anyone tells you they saw me trying to molest flatware, it's all a big misunderstanding, okay?

Fortunately I don't think anyone saw it.

Which leads me to the most ungraceful (but TOTALLY Aarwenn) thing that I have done recently. And of course that totally ungraceful thing that I did, this time involving spike-heeled boots, me running, a chain, and an audience, happened on a Second Date. Which deserves capitals, because I am just slowly (um, at 60 mph) re-entering the world of dating.

Because, me? Single. SINGLE SINGLE SINGLE!!!!! WOOOOOOO!!!!!!

It's awesome.

However. This doesn't mean that I don't want boys in my life. (Not that I don't have that already with Roommate, who is totally awesome and a Must In Every Girl's Life, but we'll get to that in a second.)

So, because I'm re-entering the dating world at 60 mph, I'm sort of dating two guys at once. Mainly I'm dating one that I met on Craigslist (where else?) named Hardware Engineer, and the other is a work friend, Chicago Aerospace Engineer, or CAE, that took me out for a drink, which turned into a date, and we haven't yet gone on a SECOND date. But there are plans. So we'll see. Because he still has wine left. And the whole point of me going over to his house on the "date" was to finish his wine, which I opened the first time I was there. And we wouldn't want that wine to turn to vinegar, would we? (Note: see in that post where I say, "[I] stay[ed] there platonically but next time it won't be? I was right. I should get a job in the stock market!)

Moving on. Both guys are engineers, which is exciting, and by "exciting" I mean "not exciting". Engineers are great and I love them, but dating them is really quite challenging and could leave a girl exhausted, if she wasn't all hot and bothered about those sexy engineer and the sexy machines they work on. (Think I'm joking? The "out for drinks" turned into a date because we began talking about how sexy the planes were, and once we got started...well...yes. Planes make us hot. Because we are that nerdy.)

Because engineers, even more than most men, are DENSE. And SHY. But really quality guys, usually, as proved by Hardware Engineer's reaction to my entrance to our second date. Which I will now tell. In the next post.

And a quick note about why Every Girl Needs My Roommate: Because your own, personalized, 24-7 guy advice can really make a girl a master player. I haven't made a single big mistake yet. Except get as cocky as I am now. Whoops.

UPDATE: I have gotten many emails asking, basically, "Okay, yeah, this is funny and all, but did you DO IT?" And the answer is no to both. When I do, you'll know.

6 comments:

Sherri said...

I'm confused. Did you do "IT" on a second date? Or what you explained with the tofu on a second date?

I'm so lost. I can't keep up with you single gals any longer. :)

Erin said...

I'm an engineer married to an engineer, so I can totally relate. Although if we ever have kids (not likely) they will pretty much be doomed.

Aarwenn said...

Ah, Sherri, I can see the source of confusion. Maybe I'll re-write this--we wouldn't want my eventual biographers getting the impression that I'm a woman of easy virtue, would we?

We'd want them to be absolutely sure of it.

But this is not a case proving my easy virtue. I'll rewrite and see if it's more clear.

kt said...

i dated engineers before.. never again. si is a psych/history major. we're a great combination. =)

Anonymous said...

Um. No. It isn't just you. "Tofu juice" is actually something I first read in...well...let's just say it was a magazine featuring women of less-than-difficult virtue.

Aarwenn said...

I wonder why they picked "tofu" as the item with juice? It wouldn't leap to the mind. Fish juice, maybe, but why tofu?